Sunday, August 31, 2014

O Livro de Mórmon

Thanks for your email!!! Hope you are all doing well. 

This week´s update: 

First, we were in front of the bus terminal with only a few more minutes until 9pm when we stopped a young man named Moises(Moses). He wasn´t super committed to coming to church, but I felt like we needed to talk to him more. We started to talk about the Restoration, and he shared some thoughts about churches that he has been to and quoted many scriptures from the Bible. I had been walking around with a Book of Mormon in my hand all night and felt impressed to talk to him about the Book of Mormon. I tried to explain why the Book of Mormon was important to me and how I have learned more about Jesus Christ because of it. He accepted the Book of Mormon and said he would read it. We also had given him a Restoration pamphlet with the address and time of the church, but he didn´t give us his phone number or address so I figured the chances of seeing him again were slim. When he was about to leave he said he might visit sometime, and we left it at that. Fast forward to Sunday and guess who we see walking out of priests´quorum with the elders--Moises! I don´t think I´ve ever had a street contact(well that I can remember) that has just showed up at church. For most people, we have to teach them a lot to get them there. He said he was there because he said he would visit. He stayed until the end and had some questions about the Book of Mormon, which he is actually reading. He still didn´t give us his address or phone number--not really sure why. He said he would try to visit again. I don´t know exactly what will happen with him, but I think we have planted a really good seed. 

We also visited an investigator who we thought had a lot of potential, Sonia. We get there with a member and start to teach the Restoration. We are about to get to apostacy and then Joseph Smith and the Restoration when guess who walks in... a pastor of another church (coincidence, I think not). I was like `NO. not her, Sonia seems so elect.`` The pastor sat quietly until we finished then just started questioning us about things in Revelations and 6-6-6 and I was really confused. We left and Sonia said she is happy and strong in her church right now. We were sad that she had seemed so interested then had like no interest,but it was almost comical the timing of her other visitor. like seriously. 

I also had some man try to convince me this week that Americans worship the sun. He said, ``What does ´domingo´ mean in english?`` I said, ´`Sunday`` but was about to explain that that really isn´t a definition but just a title of a day. He started to say that we worship the sun if we think that ``sunday is the sabbath day.`` That doesn´t even make sense. We tried to walk away but he kept yelled at us ``the truth hurts.`` I couldn´t help but laugh. 

Also we had a great experience with Silvana, the mom of a recent convert who is 15. Silvana has been going to another church for a long time but has been displeased with her pastor. She has been more receptive to the missionaries lately and we have been teaching her on and off for the past month. Last week, we gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon and she agreed to read it. She said 3 Nephi 11(which we left with her) and a bit more after. She liked how Jesus gave the same sermon from Sermon on the Mount, and she then testified that she felt that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. She said, ``It´s easier to understand than the Bible. It has more things that the Bible doesn´t.`` She religiously studies the Bible so she knows a lot and is really absorbing the new light and knowledge we are presenting for her. As we were about to leave she said, ``I had a dream the other day. I was at church with my ex-husband and daughter. I was sitting there and I could tell it was your church because there were men up front in suits. My husband was sitting up there(as if he was bishop--right now he is not a member). I didn´t know why I had that dream, until I talked to my friend. She said, ``have you asked God for anything lately?`` Silvana replied, ``Just to know what church is your sincere church.``` When Silvana told us that, our jaws dropped. The elders have been working with this family for a very long time. I know that Heavenly Father answers prayers. I am grateful to hear how he answered hers. 

We are also passing by to get ice cream every once and awhile (not just because I love ice cream) because like 2 weeks ago, the ice cream stand worker asked us if he could have a pamphlet. We gave him one, and he asked, ``Do you have more?`` I´ve never been asked that, so we gave him all the ones we had on us. Since we had run out of the Restoration, we went back a few days later and to give him a Book of Mormon and a Restoration pamphlet. He said he had read all the pamphlets and was confused; he said, ``Some scriptures are from ``Alma`` and ``Mosias`` but I don´t have those books. Those were the only confusing parts.`` I was shocked that he picked up on that. We left him with a Book of Mormon and he said he would read it. He also said he was trying to ask his boss for a day off so he could visit our church. He works every single day until from 9am to 9pm, so right now it´s nearly impossible to teach him or for him to come to church. We´ll follow up more, but he is really smart so I think he will get a lot out of the Book of Mormon. Right now he reads it during work when things are slow. 

We are also trying to teach people more with the Book of Mormon. We had a meeting this week with all the sisters in the mission and at one part we talked about how the spirit and the book of mormon are our two most powerful resources for conversion. Alma 37:9 says `` Yea, say unto you, were it not for these things that these records(the Book of Mormon) do contain, which are on these plates, Ammon and his brethren (or Sister Bledsoe and Sister Soares da Silva)  could not have convinced so many thousands of the Lamanites (Brazilians) of the incorrect tradition of their fathers (their own churches); yea, these records (the Book of Mormon) and their words brought them unto repentance; that is,they brought them to the knowledge of the Lord their God, and to rejoice in Jesus Christ their Redeemer.``

Love you all! Have an awesome week!
Thanks, 
Sister Sadie Bledsoe

No comments:

Post a Comment